unemployment claim

What do you do if someone has filed an unemployment claim and received benefits in your name?

Many individuals collected unemployment during 2020 due to the COVID pandemic. Unfortunately, there was a significant increase in unemployment benefits paid to imposters. Unemployment benefits collected are taxable and reported by the state government on Form 1099-G.

For confirmed cases of unemployment benefits paid to an imposter, the state government does not have to report the unemployment benefits on Form 1099-G.  If you receive a Form 1099-G and you didn’t collect those benefits, contact the state government as well as the RI State Police (link can be found on the provided web link) to report the fraud and have a corrected Form 1099-G issued reporting $0.

For more information, please contact us at 401-831-0200.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *