May 16 Deadline for Tax Exempt

If you are a tax-exempt organization that operates on a calendar year, May 16, 2022, is an important deadline. Certain returns are coming due, including:

  • Form 990-series (Forms 990, 990-EZ and 990-PF) – must file electronically for 2021
  • Form 990-N (Electronic notice for tax-exempt not required to file Form 990 or 990-EZ) – those eligible to submit may do so electronically through the IRS link Form-990-N (e-Postcard)
  • Form 990-T (Exempt organization business income tax return) – must file electronically for 2021
  • Form 4720 (Return of certain excise taxes) – must file electronically for 2021

How to avoid return rejection

Filing Tips (learn more detail)

  • Be sure to file the proper version of Form 990 for your tax period
  • Double check your identifying information
  • Complete parts I through XII
  • Be sure to sign the return
  • Do NOT include unnecessary personal identifying information
  • Determine and include which schedule are required
  • Complete Schedule A (Form 990 or 990-EZ); Public Charity Status and Public Support
  • Complete Schedule B (Form 990, 990-EZ or 990-PF); Schedule of Contributors or certify the organization is not required to attach Schedule B by answering No to the appropriate question in Part IV
  • Complete Schedule C (Form 990 or 990-EZ); Political Campaign and Lobbying Activities to furnish additional information on political campaign and lobbying activities
  • Complete Schedule D (Form 990); Supplemental Financial Information
  • Complete Schedule E (Form 990 or 990-EZ); Schools, if your organization is a school as described in Code Section 170(b)(1)(A)(ii)
  • Complete Schedule J (Form 990); Compensation
  • Complete Schedule L (Form 990 or 990-EZ)
  • Complete Schedule R (Form 990); Related Organizations and Unrelated Partnerships, if required based on answers to questions in Form 990 Part IV
  • Complete Schedule O (Form 990); Supplemental Information for Form 990 to provide additional narrative information to specific questions and to supplement or explain the Organization’s responses to other questions

Need more time to file?

You may request a 6-month extension by filing Form 8868 (Application for Extension of Time to File and Exempt Organization Return). Don’t forget, even when requesting an extension you still must pay any taxes owed on time.

For more information, contact us at 401-831-0200.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *