Eligible teachers and administrators (educators) may deduct up to $250 from their taxes for costs they pay on technology, supplies, and training. The deduction may rise to $500 if two eligible educators file their return together as “married filing joint”.
Who is Eligible?
- K through 12th grade teachers, instructors, aides, counselors, or principals who have worked 900 hours in a school year, in a school that provides elementary or secondary education as determined under state law
- Teachers and educators who were not already reimbursed for their costs by their employer, a grant, or some other source
- Professional development course fees
- Computer equipment, related software and services
- Other equipment and materials used in the classroom
If you are thinking of taking the educator expense deduction, save your receipts to support your deduction. You can learn more about this topic by visiting the IRS website, Tax Topic No. 458, or contact us at 401-831-0200.