How Does This Benefit You?
Taxpayers can now have digital control over who can represent them or view their tax records by setting up an Online Account. This is helpful for individuals to authorize their tax professional to represent them before the IRS with Power of Attorney (POA) and to view their tax accounts with Tax Information Authorizations (TIA).
This new authorization option will be a much faster process because it removes the manual processing step. Tax professionals can initiate POAs and TIAs for taxpayers, which taxpayers can then digitally review, approve or reject, along with including their electronic signature. It’s as simple as checking a box since the taxpayer’s identity will have been verified at the time of login.
Most requests will immediately be recorded and appear on the list of approved authorizations in the taxpayers Online Account, and the tax professionals Tax Pro Account. Some requests may take up to 48 hours.
Additional features of the taxpayer Online Account available to individual taxpayers include the ability to:
- Make a payment online
- See payment plan options and request a plan via Online Payment Agreement
- Access their tax records via Get Transcript
Taxpayers may also view:
- The amount they owe, updated for the current calendar day
- Their balance details by year
- Their payment history for the last five years and any scheduled or pending payments
- Key information from their most recent tax return
- Payment plan details
- Digital copies of select notices from the IRS
- Their Economic Impact Payments, if any
- Their address on file
Setting up an Account
IRS has provided guidance on how to create an Online Account. You can view the guidance [here].
The IRS has created two helpful posters regarding the benefits of creating an Online Account and How to Submit Authorizations Using Tax Pro Account and On-line Account. You can view them here:
- Publication 5533, Why You Should Create an IRS Online Account
- Publication 5533-A, How to Submit Authorizations Using Tax Pro Account and Online Account
Taxpayers must login to their Online Account using their IRS username and password to complete the POA and/or TIA prepared by their tax professional.
Digital POA and TIA authorizations are only available to those with addresses in the United States. Tax professionals must be in good standing with the IRS and have a CAF number before using Tax Pro Account.
For more information, please visit the links above or contact us at 401-831-0200.