The IRS has extended additional May 17 tax deadlines for individuals to include time to:
- Make contributions to health savings accounts and Archer Medical Savings Accounts
- Make contributions to IRAs and ROTH IRAs
- Make contributions to Coverdell education savings accounts
- Claim a refund for tax year 2017. Taxpayers have three years to file a return or the money become property of the U.S. Treasury. They must properly address and ensure the return is postmarked by May 17, 2021
- File Form 1040-NR for foreign trusts and estates with federal income tax filing or payment obligations
Note that estimated tax payments due on April 15 have NOT been extended and gift tax returns have NOT been extended.
The IRS notice can be found [here]. Not all states are following the extended due dates. Please contact us at 401-831-0200 with questions or for the latest extension information, as it changes almost daily.