Laura joined Piccerelli, Gilstein & Company, LLP in 2003. Prior to joining the Firm, she spent twenty years in other local public accounting firms. Laura has managed review and compilation engagements and has assisted in audits of service providers, manufacturers and construction-related entities. She has a strong background in complex areas of accounting such as the percentage-of-completion accounting method with conversion to completed contract method for tax. Laura manages many intricate consolidated, multi-state, multi-location engagements.
Laura manages tax engagements for a variety of large, multi-facility manufacturers, distributors and service companies, nonprofits and real estate entities. She has extensive experience with forensic accounting and litigation support engagements.
Laura, a Certified Divorce Financial Analyst (CDFA), is a member of the firm’s Litigation Support Group where she specializes in fraud investigations and assists attorneys with divorce related matters.
Laura obtained a Bachelor of Science in Accounting degree, with highest distinction, from the University of Massachusetts – Dartmouth in 1985. In 1994, she received a Master of Science in Taxation degree from Bryant College. In addition, in 2008 Laura earned the designation Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) from the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners. She earned a Certified Divorce Financial Analyst designation from the Institute for Divorce Financial Analysts.
Professional Associations and Activities
Laura has been and is currently involved in the following professional and civic organizations:
- Member of American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Member of R.I. Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Member of the Massachusetts Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Member of the National and R.I. Chapters of Certified Fraud Examiners
- President of the RI ACFE Board of Directors and Chair of Scholarship Committee
- Member of the Institute for Divorce Financial Analysts
- Former Board Member and Treasurer of the University of Massachusetts – Dartmouth Alumni Association
- Board member, Girl Scouts of Rhode Island, Inc. and Finance Committee member
- Editorial Advisor and Member of the Tax Advisor
- Adjunct lecturer at University of Massachusetts – Forensic Accounting and Fraud Examination
- Former Junior Achievement of Southern Massachusetts volunteer
- Former member, Fall River Chamber of Commerce Education Committee
- Former Treasurer, Somerset Cub Scout Pack 7
- Former committee member, Boy Scouts Troup #303
Laura is a guest speaker for audit classes on forensic auditing and lectures at tax update seminars.